Never let it be said that the Catholic Church doesn’t embrace change. They lifted a ban on publishing Galileo’s works only 76 years after he died, and they lifted their general prohibition on works advocating heliocentrism only 40 years after that. And only a year after the Cadaver Synod they forbade any future prosecutions of corpses.
So it should be no surprise that the Pope plans to join Facebook in 2009, only a couple of years after your mom:
The Church wants to emulate US President Barack Obama’s use of the internet, both during his election campaign and since he took office.
Hopefully, in addition to Facebook, it will include some of the following:
- Chesty “Crush on Benedict” videos
- Use of Chilean midgets to mock rival Priests
- Creation of MyBenedict private social network
- Viral “things only evil and inhuman” remix video featuring will.i.am, Scarlett Johnasson, Kareem Abdul-Jabbar, Herbie Hancock, and Nick Cannon
- “change.va” website to take suggestions for ways to improve the Catholic Church, followed by online town halls where Benedict mocks the most popular suggestions
And let me be the first to say, “Welcome to 1998!”